Network Topology Advantages And Disadvantages In 2022
Last updated on June 16th, 2022 at 03:53 pm
A computer undoubtedly has a great impact to make our life cozy. If you are in school, office, home, or in business, the computer assists to enhance the performance level. But the most notable thing is in an office or business, a computer helps to maintain a connection with your colleagues by the network topology system. You should have a clear idea of the network topology advantages and disadvantages to getting the best services from it.
We present this article to you so, you could get a basic idea of the network topology and chose the perfect one for your institution.
What is Network Topology?
Network topology is a layout of a network and generally used in the communication system.
Moreover, it is a geometric representation that represents the computer’s connection to each other. In the network topology, various nodes like computers, printers, routers, etc, devices, and connections are arranged physically as well as logically.
For example, think about the city and its road, here the city is considered as the network, and its road is with the topology. The city roads have to design based on the user’s preferences so, there are several ways to rearrange it. Likewise, the network topology allows you to design the network system multiple ways based on its user.
What Are The Most Common Network Topology Advantages and Disadvantages
There are 6 most common ways to establish a communication network through the network topology. Moreover, it depends on the purposes, overall network size, and also objectives. You could figure out the detailed discussion of the network topology below.
One of the common types of topology is the star topology where nodes like computers, printers, etc in the system are linked to one central switch. Here, every node is separately linked to the switch or a hub.
Advantages of Star Topology
- You will find it less expensive because here only one I/O port is used for each node and a link to link with a hub.
- Here, one link’s error doesn’t hamper in the whole network system.
- The fault detection is easy because of the star topology’s less complex system.
Disadvantages of Star Topology
- Here, the hub has a major influence that’s why its problem affects the entire network.
- Here, you have to do maintenance of the hub (central system) on a regular basis.
You can connect all the nodes in a single line in the bus topology.
Advantages of Bus Topology
- You will find the bus topology is easy to install along with the handle.
- It is suited to a small network system like LAN.
- The installation process of the bus topology does not require a huge investment.
Disadvantages of Bus Topology
- The fault detection is difficult in the bus topology.
- For its limited cable, you will face difficulty to add additional devices.
- There is a security risk involved because every computer on this network knows the passing information.
You can relate the tree topology like the tree which follows a hierarchical layout and each level is connected with the next higher level. Besides, the bus and star topology jointly form the tree topology.
Advantages of TreeTopology
- All the computers are connected through a simple hub in the tree topology
- You can easily control it so, you can use it in a large network like a WAN.
Disadvantages of Tree Topology
- Here the installation and the wiring mechanism are complex.
- Here the whole network will go down if the main media named root node falls in a problem.
The mesh topology allows all the devices are interlinked and information is transferred through two ways first one is routing and the second is flooding.
Advantages of Mesh Topology
- If you need to control high amounts of traffic the mesh topology is perfect for you.
- Here, a device’s error in this network does not hamper the whole system.
Disadvantages of Mesh Topology
- You will find the mesh topology costly than other topology.
- The installation and maintenance of the mesh topology require more time and effort.
In a ring topology, all the devices are interconnected in a circle format and the data travel from one device to next to reach their destination.
Advantages of Ring Topology
- You will find the Ring topology is easy to install.
- You can set up the additional device and it does not hamper the network’s activity.
Disadvantages of Ring Topology
- Here, one device’s error makes the whole network goes down.
- All data need to circulate in a ring that’s why the ring topology is slow.
- When you wish to add extra or remove any device then you need to take the whole system offline.
The combination of two or more topology like bus topology with star topology called hybrid topology.
Advantage of Hybrid topology
- The user can install the hybrid topology based on his preferences.
Disadvantages of Hybrid topology
- You will face complexity and also expensive in design.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the advantages and disadvantages of bus network?
You will find the bus network needs less wire to install and the fault detection is difficult.
Why network topology is important?
In an office or business, a computer maintains a connection with your colleagues by the network topology system to enhance the performance level.
What are the 5 network topologies?
The popular five network topology are Bus topology, mesh topology, star topology, tree topology, and hybrid topology.
Which topology is fastest?
You will find the mesh topology is the fastest topology in the network topology.
How is ring topology connected?
In a ring topology, devices are interconnected in a circle format and the data travel from one device to next to reach their destination.
Hopefully, our article will give you a clear idea of the network topology. Now, you will be able to choose the right topology after go through the network topology advantages and disadvantages.
Lastly, thanks for patiently read this article and share your experience with us in the comment section.